The Museum, situated within the Convent of San Francesco, was first opened in 1906 as an Archaeological Museum, to house the Etruscan and Roman findings unearthed during excavations in the area around the convent. It was enriched later by ethnographic articles (clothing, musical instruments, prototypes of typographer’s plates, statuettes made of jade, porcelain and ivory) collected by the missionaries, for the most part in China and Egypt. In addition to the archaeological, artistic and ethnographic collections, the Museum displays a number of stuffed birds. On the outside of the convent are two sundials showing astronomical hours, one of them dated 1806. Both of the sundials are intact and functioning.
Via San Francesco, 13
Info: ph. 055.59175 | www.fratifiesole.it | email@example.com