This villa stands almost right in front of Villa Medici and it was built between 1911 and 1913. It was designed by Cecil Pinsent and Geoffrey Scott for Charles Augustus Strong, a wealthy American philosophy enthusiast who lived there till his death in 1939. The building was erected on a slope called the Balze di Macciò. Work on the garden began in 1914 and was conducted by Pinsent alone from 1917.
The garden of The Balze has a wealth of decoration with mosaics, statues and stuccos all created by Pinsent. In 1979, in accordance with Strong’s last wishes that the villa should remain a centre of culture his daughter Marchioness Margaret Rockefeller de Cuevas de Lorain gifted the villa to Georgetown University which accommodates its students there during their study semesters in Italy.