The monastery of St. Domenico which stands halfway between Florence and Fiesole was begun in 1406 and completed in 1435 by Bishop Jacopo Altoviti of Fiesole and Giovanni Dominici, both friars from Santa Maria Novella. It was an important training centre for young friars – indeed it was the training ground for Antonino Pierozzi, saint and Archbishop of Florence and Giovanni da Fiesole called Beato Angelico whose triptych (or table of St. Domenico of Fiesole, the Madonna of the Benediction and the Crucifixion of the Chapter). Many of his works that were created here are exhibited in the Uffizi, the Louvre, the Prado and in the Hermitage. Next to the monastery stands the church which dates to the first half of the 15th century.
Piazza San Domenico, 11, San Domenico Fiesole (FI)